History of the Church

A SHORT HISTORY

St N 1766 [F Irby] The church is known to date from the end of the 12th C but because of its spectacular location it is quite possible that there was a Saxon church on the site or even an earlier Pagan temple as the known route of the Roman road from Silchester to St Albans  crossing the Thames at Hedsor Wharf runs close by. The spectacular sunsets over the valley giving the site obvious appeal – however there is no evidence of use before the 12th century.

The earliest know references to a church on the site are in the Charter of Missenden Abbey of the 13th century and in the Assize Rolls for Bucks of 1240-1. Although there are references to the Lord of the Manor Rowland Hynde, who died in 1608, carrying out restoration work on the church it is not known what this entailed. However by 1640 the church was reported as being in some disrepair and this may account for the 3 small tree stumps recently found embedded in the south wall of the chancel.

The building was extensively modified by Lord Boston (Hedsor House) over the second half of the 19thC with the North aisle being added, the south porch converted to a baptistry, a new porch created in the north west corner and the whole of the interior remodeled.

Extensive restoration work including the installation of a new organ and the building of a new toilet were carried out between 1995 and 2000.

History Booklet [A5]For Proofing}_Layout 1

A History and Guide for St Nicholas’ Hedsor by Jonathan Rushworth has been published in 2012. This second edition is much enlarged and in full colour. It is available in the church at £5.00. A text only version is available as a .pdf file and can be downloaded by clicking History.